Matchday 5 is here! On Saturday, the Bulls will travel to face 1. FC Köln at 18:30 CEST in the Bundesliga. Ahead of the game, head coach Jesse Marsch spoke to the media about the match and the squad.
Jesse Marsch on...
...the reaction to the Manchester City defeat:
- “It was hard to accept the loss after the game. Nevertheless, we know we played a really good team. We fought hard, kept getting back into the game and then hoped to find some momentum, but City kept replying with another goal.
We’re going through a process, whereby we are learning lots of things along the way. We need to concentrate more and be more disciplined in the right moments, whilst continuing to play to our strengths.”
... the upcoming away game against 1. FC Köln:
- “1. FC Köln are a strong side who like a real battle. They’ve started really well this season. For us, the situation is clear. We haven’t begun the way we had hoped. The lads will stay strong though. You have to show more fight during tough situations, run harder and win more challenges. The mood in camp is still positive. The players know that we need to fight and win against Köln in order to get our season really up and running.
It’s our job against Köln to send the right players on the pitch. Some guys were in action on Wednesday, but we need the best possible side for the Köln game.”
You have to show more fight during tough situations, run harder and win more challenges.
...tactics and structure:
- "Ich habe in meiner Karriere als Trainer schon viele Grundordnungen spielen lassen. In Salzburg waren es bis zu neun Stück in den ersten fünf Monaten. Das hat mit der Ausrichtung mit und gegen den Ball zu tun. Hier haben wir oft mit einem Stürmer gespielt, ein paar Mal im Tannenbaum-System.
The balance between André and Yussi’s rhythm is important. We could play with both up front to give us more power and aggression without the ball. Yussi would definitely provide that. Both are doing well in training and are working hard for the team. We’ll have to see how the team looks on Saturday.”
...Kevin Kampl and Ilaix Moriba:
- “Team selection is dependent on each opponent. Kevin is always great to have on the pitch. We need to look after his fitness, but we had a good conversation yesterday. He’s a great player, a great guy and really important for our group.
Ilaix is getting better and better in training. Even if he’s not yet an option for the starting XI, I’m really pleased with him overall.”
- Striker Hugo Novoa is out injured
- Marcel Halstenberg is working on his return after an ankle injury