RB Leipzig secured their first ever DFL Supercup title on Saturday night. The DFB-Pokal winners saw off Bundesliga champions FC Bayern München 3-0 in the first competitive game of the season at the Allianz Arena.
Dani Olmo gave RBL the perfect start with a composed finished making it 1-0 after only three minutes. An exciting an open match developed, with good chances for both teams, but it was Leipzig and Olmo who struck once again. This time the Spaniard produced a genius turn and nutmeg finish shortly before half time.
Bayern looked the stronger side after the change of ends, yet failed to capitalise on their opportunities. Instead, a penalty was awarded down the other end and Olmo completed his hat-trick to wrap up a 3-0 win and the first trophy of the new season for RBL.
We've rounded up the key moments from the match.
3rd minute: Dani Olmo strikes early
- RBL make it 1-0! The ball drops perfectly for Dani Olmo in the box after David Raum's cross and he coolly slots it through the busy six-yard box and into the bottom corner.
16th minute: Strong save from Janis
- Serge Gnabry plays a neat through ball into Mathys Tel, who looks to fire past Janis Blaswich, but our goalkeeper stays tall and brilliantly parries the ball away!
44th minute: Dani Olmo at the double
- Timo Werner plays the ball to Dani Olmo's feet on the edge of the box, and El Mago turns de Ligt seamlessly before poking the ball through legs of Ulreich to make it 2-0.
45th minute: Excellent first half for Leipzig
- Our lads go into the break with a 2-0 lead after a solid first half.
68th minute: Dani Olmo hat-trick
- RBL go 3-0 up! The ball hits Bayern defender Mazraoui's arm and referee Bastian Dankert points to the spot. Dani Olmo buries the penalty for his third.
88th minute: Šeško misses the chance for 4-0
- Fabio Carvalho plays Sesko in behind and he comes close to scoring. Sven Ulreich makes a good save by sticking out his right fist to divert Sesko’s strike over the bar.
Supercup | FC Bayern 0-3 RB Leipzig
RBL: Blaswich - Henrichs (84' Klostermann), Simakan, Orban (C), Raum - Schlager, Seiwald - Xavi (78' Fabio Carvalho), Dani Olmo (78' Forsberg) - Werner (64' Poulsen), Openda (64' Sesko)
FCB: Ulreich - Pavard (46' Mazraoui), de Ligt (46' Kim), Upamecano, Davies - Kimmich (C), Laimer (46' Coman) - Musiala - Sane, Gnabry - Tel (63' Kane)
Unused RBL subs: Zingerle (GK), Lukeba, Kampl, Novoa
Unused FCB subs: Hülsmann (GK), Krätzig, Gravenberch, Pavlovic
0-1 Dani Olmo (3'), 0-2 Dani Olmo (44'), 0-3 Dani Olmo (68' pen.)
Pavard (13'), Upamecano (34'), Dani Olmo (71')
- Kevin Kampl pulled up in the warm-up and was replaced in the starting XI by Nicolas Seiwald.
- Amadou Haidara (torn muscle) and El Chadaille Bitshiabu (MCL tear) are sidelined for some time.
- Christoph Baumgartner is back in training, but wasn't ready for the Supercup.
- Péter Gulácsi is "on the right path" according to Marco Rose, but wasn't ready for Saturday's game.
- Referee: Bastian Dankert (Rostock)
- Assistant 1: Rene Rohde (Rostock)
- Assistant 2: Marcel Unger (Tangstedt)
- Fourth official: Tobias Reichel (Sindelfingen)
- Video assistant: Tobias Welz (Wiesbaden)