RB Leipzig have strengthened their midfield with the signing of Xaver Schlager from Bundesliga rivals VfL Wolfsburg. The 24-year-old Austria international has signed a four-year contract until 2026.
The Linz-born Austrian midfielder played youth football in his home country, playing for FC Red Bull Salzburg. In 2016, he made the step to professional level and gained his first experience on the international stage with appearances in the Champions League qualifiers and the Europa League. In the summer of 2019, Schlager moved to VfL Wolfsburg in the Bundesliga, going on to make a total of 81 competitive matches, scoring one goal and providing nine assists.
Xaver will join up with his new teammates and begin pre-season at the beginning of July.
Florian Scholz, commercial director Sport:
- "We're really pleased to have pulled off the transfer of Xaver Schlager. His move to us makes sense and is a good fit, both from a footballing and an financial point of view, and Xaver will help us achieve our ambitious goals.
We have always said that we are not planning any major upheaval this summer, but rather that we want to strengthen the team selectively. At the same time, we want to grow and improve as a club year upon year. Xaver is an important piece of the puzzle for the future to help us achieve that."
Christopher Vivell, technical director:
- “Xaver Schlager is a tough-tackling and hard-running central midfielder, who not only knows our style of play, but has been playing in this way for years now. Xaver will be a great addition to us both on and off the pitch.
On the pitch, he's an intelligent box-to-box midfielder who makes good decisions, whilst his strong left foot will improve our versatility in midfield. He's a reliable character away from the pitch, has a great mentality and that's the kind of guy that will improve our team.
We're delighted to have signed Xaver and we're looking forward to the new season with him."
- “RB Leipzig are one of the top teams in Germany and are consistently in Europe, plus they have now won their first major title with the DFB-Pokal. I'm really pleased that this move has been completed and I can continue my development here.
The club has big targets and I want to play my part in achieving them!"
- Name: Xaver Schlager
- Date of birth: 28.09.1997 in Linz (Austria)
- Age: 24
- Nationality: Austrian
- Preferred foot: left
- Height: 1,74m
- VfL Wolfsburg:
Bundesliga: 69 games | 1 goal | 7 assists
DFB-Pokal: 4 games
UEFA Europa League, including qualifiers: 8 games | 2 assists
- FC Red Bull Salzburg:
Austrian Bundesliga: 67 games | 7 goals | 7 assists
Champions League qualifiers: 4 games
Europa League: 24 games | 1 goal | 2 assists
ÖFB-Cup: 12 games | 2 goals | 2 assists
- National team: 29 games | 2 goals
- From 07/2022: RB Leipzig
- 07/2019 until 06/2022: VfL Wolfsburg
- 07/2016 until 07/2019: FC Red Bull Salzburg
- 01/2015 until 07/2016: FC Liefering
- Until 01/2015: FC Red Bull Salzburg (Academy)