Rouven Schröder will become RB Leipzig’s new sporting director. The 47-year-old will begin work on 1st April 2023.
Rouven Schröder has signed a long-term contract and will report directly to Max Eberl (managing director for sport). He will focus on scouting, squad planning and everything to do with the first team at RB Leipzig.
Following the end of his playing career in 2012 (played 8 Bundesliga games for VfL Bochum and 48 second-division matches for Bochum and MSV Duisburg), Schröder has held numerous positions in professional football, and was most recently sporting director at FC Schalke 04 until October 2022.
Welcome to RB Leipzig, Rouven!
- “Rouven Schröder was our first choice for the role of sporting director at RB Leipzig. We’re really pleased that we’ve been able to bring him to the club. Rouven has lots of expertise and has proven what he’s capable of in his previous roles. He will join us in April and support me with squad planning, scouting and everything else to do with the first team.”
- “I’m really excited for my new challenge at RB Leipzig. RB are one of the best teams in the Bundesliga and regularly play in the Champions League. I now want to play my part in helping the club to take the next steps in its development.”
- Name: Rouven Schröder
- Job: Sporting director
- Date of birth: 18th October 1975
- Place of birth: Arnsberg
- Age: 47
- Nationality: German
- 06/2021 until 10/2022: Sporting director FC Schalke 04
- 07/2017 until 12/2020: Managing director for sport 1. FSV Mainz 05
- 04/2016 until 06/2017: Sporting director 1. FSV Mainz 05
- 07/2014 until 03/2016: Sporting director SV Werder Bremen
- 01/2013 until 06/2014: Head of sport SpVgg Greuther Fürth
- 07/2012 until 01/2013: First-team manager SpVgg Greuther Fürth
- 07/2010 until 06/2012: Scout/Analyst 1. FC Nürnberg