"We'll deal with any setbacks that come our way"
Press conference ahead of Saturday’s game against Gladbach | Latest team news
After an unlucky 2-1 defeat against Borussia Dortmund last week, the Red Bulls host Borussia Mönchengladbach on Saturday (kick off: 15:30 CET) at the Red Bull Arena.
Head coach Marco Rose spoke to the media ahead of the game, giving an injury update as well as discussing lessons from the Dortmund game.
- Dani Olmo is working on his return from injury and continues to make progress. He completed full training on Tuesday for the first time since suffering a thigh muscle strain at the end of January. A decision is yet to be made on his inclusion in the Gladbach game.
- Xaver Schlager was forced off towards the end of the game against Dortmund due to a syndesmosis ligament injury. Xaver has now undergone an operation in Munich and will be out for a significant period.
- Christopher Nkunku suffered a minor thigh strain against Dortmund and is also now set for a spell on the sidelines.
- Abdou Diallo has been out recently with knee problems. He is currently training individually alongside the main team session.
MARCO ROSE ON...
… The fitness of the players:
- "The training week was good. We had a small group of players who has some problems with illness. Andre Silva had to end a session early at the start of the week, then Konrad Laimer was absent and Dominik Szoboszlai was unable to train yesterday but it looks like he’s going to be back today. Timo Werner has been battling a cold since the Dortmund game.
On the other hand, Dani Olmo was back with the team completely. We’ll decide on his involvement in the game together after training. Xaver Schlager underwent surgery and is doing well with his rehabilitation now. We’ll wait and see whether he’ll play again this season. Abdou Diallo is also in rehabilitation but doing well. Christopher Nkunku is working inside after his muscle strain. We’re trying to have him back out on the pitch by the international break.
There are always times where you have to do without players. Unfortunately in our case, we’ve missed some key players quite often this season. I’ve said several times this season that if we have everyone available, we’re capable of a lot.
The absences are not without consequences, but I still see us as being in a good enough position to win games, including tomorrow's against Gladbach. We gave a lot of versatile players. Everyone has a duty, the coaching team, the players. We want to and will also deal with any setbacks in the right way."
Everything to know on #RBLBMG
MARCO ROSE ON...
… Gladbach's strengths:
- "We’re preparing to take on a team with a lot of individual quality and a clear playing idea that is based on possession. We’ve just watched them again. Even just looking at their attack, with Thuram, Hofmann, Stindl and Pléa, you can clearly see how much quality they have in the squad. Behind them are Koné and Kramer.
Gladbach are a good team with some strong players. But we know what we’re capable of, we’re in good form and played well in Dortmund. Despite that, we weren’t pleased with the result, so we need to get a win in front of our fans tomorrow.."
.… U19 players:
- "It’s a conscious decision not to include U19 players because it’s something that has to be earned. I hold the boys accountable to prove their will every day, in every training session and every game, to send clear messages to the head coach of the first team. I think we can still make progress in that area.
I saw the U19 game against Bremen and obviously watch the Youth League games. More than anything I focus on our own players. They are talented and are showing good development, but to be among the best at RB Leipzig, you have to do a lot. We have to be sharper in this area and every place in the squad is earned."
… Jonas Hofmann:
- "Anyone who knows us knows that we don’t use man-marking. We take on the challenges that come our way as a collective team. Jonas Hofmann is a great player with a good level of aggression and can time his press well. He is a brilliant player.
We know that Gladbach have a good record against the top sides. Our aim, and I repeat, is to win the game"
Dani Olmo is a player who needs to be on the ball.
MARCO ROSE ÜBER ...
… Dani Olmo:
- "Dani is a player who needs to be out and on the ball. You can see that he’s slowly coming back and is enjoying it again.
We’re in constant contact with the medical department. We want to increase Dani’s workload with short appearances in order to get him back to the top level. What we need to do is find the right balance to benefit from the quality that Dani has and brings to our game."
… The reaction to the Dortmund defeat:
- "RB Leipzig is a club where results matter a lot and in the public eye, the first priority is the results. The performance in the second half was really good, but in the first half we had a 15-minute period where we weren’t at our best but despite that, what people take into account is the result.
Because of our goals we know that we need results, but the way that we played should give us some confidence. Anyone who had such a dominant performance like our second half in Dortmund, especially being a man down in the final ten minutes, can be very confident going into tomorrow’s game.
It’s important for us to understand the reasons behind what happened in those 15 minutes. If we have a spell where we’re not doing very well in possession, we have to defend well at the very least. That’s what we need to take away from the game."
… Efficiency in front of goal:
- "We train finishing, but sometimes you have moments where the ball just won’t go in. At the moments we’re just missing that little bit of luck and cutting edge in front of goal. But that’s something you have to work on. I place the responsibility on everyone to be clinical and to put the ball into the net."
… The 3-0 defeat in the reverse fixture:
- "Anyone who wants to beat us needs a brilliant today. The reverse fixture is a while ago; back then we had a busy schedule and had just started working together. A few things have changed since then.
But the focus for us tomorrow is to take on a good team at tome. We need a top performance."