RB Leipzig have signed goalkeeper Örjan Nyland with immediate effect. The 32-year-old Norwegian was out of contract, making it possible to sign him outside of the transfer window. He has signed on a nine-month deal until June 2023.
Nyland joins as a replacement for captain Péter Gulácsi, who suffered an anterior cruciate ligament tear in his right knee at home against Celtic on Wednesday evening.
The goalkeeper was on the books at Championship side Reading until summer 2022. Prior to that, he also featured for Norwich City and Aston Villa. Nyland played for Ingolstadt from 2015 to 2018, making 18 Bundesliga and 30 second-division appearances for the side.
He made his senior debut for Norway on 19th November 2013, and has since gone on to make 40 appearances for his country, as well as becoming their first-choice goalkeeper. He featured for 90 minutes in Norway’s Nations League matches against Slovenia (2-1 loss) and Serbia (2-0 loss) at the end of September.
The 32-year-old is not eligible to feature in the UEFA Champions League group stages, but will be in the squad for the first time next weekend, as Leipzig host Hertha BSC.
I'm proud to be part of RB Leipzig!
Frederik Gößling, goalkeeper coach RB Leipzig:
- "Due to Pete’s lengthy absence, we knew that we needed to sign another goalkeeper, one with experience, who could integrate themselves into the team quickly and who would be available immediately. Örjan filled all these requirements. He knows the Bundesliga from his time in Ingolstadt and has also played for a long time in England.
He has also seen competitive action over the last months with the national team, even while he was out of contract. Together with Janis and our two youngsters, Jonas Nickisch and Timo Schlieck, we now have a group of goalkeepers that will do everything they can in order to compensate for Pete’s absence.”
- "I’m very proud to be part of RB Leipzig and that there was a chance to help support the goalkeeping team on such short notice. Of course, I would have wished for it to happen under different circumstances, and hope that Péter Gulácsi’s recovery progresses swiftly and positively. I wish him all the best. I’m looking forward to getting to know the team and having a successful season with my teammates.”
- Name: Örjan Nyland (in Norwegian: Ørjan Håskjold Nyland)
- Position: Goalkeeper
- Date of birth: 10th September 1990
- Place of birth: Volda, Norway
- Age: 32
- Nationality: Norwegian
- Shoots: Right-footed
- Height: 1.92m
7 games | 2 clean sheets
34 games | 8 clean sheets
18 games | 1 clean sheet
30 games | 10 clean sheets
Eliteserien (Norway's top flight):
61 games | 21 clean sheets
40 games | 16 clean sheets
- from October 2022: RB Leipzig
- 03/2022 to 07/2022: Reading FC
- 08/2021 to 01/2022: AFC Bournemouth
- 02/2021 to 08/2021: Norwich City
- 08/2018 to 10/2020: Aston Villa
- 07/2015 to 08/2018: FC Ingolstadt
- 01/2013 to 07/2015: Molde FK
- Youth: Mork IL, Volda TI, IL Hødd