Matchday facts #RBLKOE
Werner’s return after 777 days | Nkunku on the heels of Lewandowski | Szoboszlai’s first red card
RB Leipzig had to settle for a 2-2 draw with FC Köln on Matchday 2. Although the players couldn’t quite get the three points, Saturday’s game produced some interesting facts and stats. Here are some of the most compelling numbers from the game!
- Timo Werner made his return exactly 777 days after his last match for Leipzig. His last appearance for the club came in a 2-1 win over Augsburg on 27th June 2020. He scored both goals.
- Timo opened the scoring in his first game back for the Red Bulls. During his first stint, it took him four games to open his account.
- It was Timo’s 79th goal in 128 Bundesliga appearances for RBL. No other player has scored more than 40 goals for the club.
- Werner’s opener had a probability of 2.13%, making it the most unlikely goal of the season so far.
- Christopher Nkunku also bagged against FC Köln. The Frenchman has now netted 15 times in 2022 and only Robert Lewandowski can boast more goals this calendar year (16).
- Olmo to Christo part 2: Dani Olmo also assisted Christo’s goal on Matchday 1 in Stuttgart.
- Own goal number 2: It was Joško Gvardiol’s second own goal in the Bundesliga (in 31 games). His first came in a 3-2 defeat to FC Bayern on Matchday 21 of the 2021/22 season.
- Christo was the fastest player on the pitch with a top speed of 34.05 km/h.
- The Ballon d'OR nominee also had the most shots of any RBL player (3).
- Newcomer David Raum covered the most distance of any Leipzig player (11.2km).
- Dani won the most duels (14).
- Mohamed Simakan completed the most passes (63).
- Domenico Tedesco remains unbeaten against FC with two wins and four draws to his name.
- It was Dominik Szoboszlai’s first red card in 33 Bundesliga matches. The Hungarian had only been booked twice prior to this game.
- It’s was also Szobo’s first sending-off in his professional career.
- 73 games without a sending off: It was RB’s first red card in the Bundesliga since 6th June 2020, when Dayot Upamecano was sent off for two bookable offences. Current Köln boss Steffen Baumgart was in charge of the opposition that day.