Fábio Carvalho has joined RB Leipzig on a year-long loan from Liverpool. The 20-year-old is an attacking midfielder and can play out wide too. The Portugal U21 international (4 caps, 2 goals) played 21 times in all competitions for Liverpool last season and scored two goals.
Carvalho was part of Benfica’s academy until 2013. He moved with his family to England in 2013 and then joined Fulham’s youth setup after a year with Balham FC. He signed his first pro deal with the Cottagers in May 2020.
He made his first-team debut on 23rd September 2020 in the EFL Cup against Sheffield Wednesday. His first Premier League appearance came seven months later aged just 18 in a 2-0 defeat against Chelsea, with Carvalho coming off the bench in the 78th minute.
The Portuguese youngster became a first-team regular in the 2021/22 season, appearing 36 times in the Championship. He scored 10 goals and recorded eight assists as Fulham won promotion back to the Premier League at the first attempt. He was then bought by Liverpool in summer 2022.
Carvalho played for England from the U15 up to the U18s, but then chose to represent Portugal from 2022 onwards.
New signing Fábio Carvalho:
- "As a young player, it's a big step for me to move from England to the Bundesliga and RB Leipzig. I'm joining a strong side, one that has been very successful in recent years. Now, I want to help build on this and am looking forward to taking on a new challenge.
My goal is to play as much as possible, in the league, the cup and especially in the UEFA Champions League. RB Leipzig have a reputation for giving young players these kinds of opportunities, which is why this is the perfect club for me to continue my development at."
RBL board member for sport Max Eberl:
- "Fábio Carvalho is a huge talent – the fact that Liverpool signed him recently just proves that. He is quick, agile, full of tricks and creative. He likes to get shots away and can also set his teammates up.
We will give Fábio the time he needs to settle in here and to adjust to life in a new country and with a new club. We are looking forward to him improving our attacking game and to have another option in this department.”
Welcome in Leipzig, Fábio!
- Name: Fábio Carvalho
- Date of birth: 30th August 2002
- Age: 20
- Nationality: Portuguese
- Preferred foot: Right
- Height: 1.70m
- Position: Attacking midfielder
- from 07/2023: RB Leipzig (loan)
- 07/2022 until 06/2023: Liverpool
- 07/2021 until 06/2022: Fulham
- 07/2020 until 06/2021: Fulham U21s
- Youth clubs:
Benfica, Balham FC, Fulham
- Premier League: 17 games | 3 goals
- Championship: 36 games | 10 goals | 8 assists
- UEFA Champions League: 4 games
- FA Cup: 4 games | 1 goal
- Portugal U21s: 4 games | 2 goals