RB Leipzig have secured a top transfer ahead of the new Bundesliga season. Following the Supercup game against FC Bayern, the club are pleased to announce the signing of David Raum.
The 24-year-old joins from TSG 1899 Hoffenheim with immediate effect and signs a five-year contract until 2027. A left footer, Raum operates on the left flank either as a winger or full back.
Raum progressed through the youth ranks at SpVgg Greuther Fürth and made his professional debut at the club as and 18-year-old, coming on as a 75th-minute substitute in Fürth’s away fixture against 1860 Munich in the 2. Bundesliga.
The full back went on to make 55 second division appearances across the following three seasons before becoming a key part of his side in the 2020/21 campaign, scoring one goal and recording 15 assists. His impressive season was rewarded with a move to Hoffenheim in summer 2021. Raum scored three goals and registered 13 assists (fourth-best in the league) in his first season in the top flight.
After eleven appearances across the Germany U19 and U20 teams, Raum debuted for the U21 side on 20th November 2020 in a 2-1 victory over Wales. The full back also won the U21 European Championships in summer 2021 and represented his country at the Olympic Games in Tokyo.
Raum made his full international debut for Germany in a 6-0 World Cup qualifier against Armenia and has since established himself as a regular in Hansi Flick’s side, going on to make nine full caps for his country.
Welcome to Leipzig, David!
Florian Scholz, commercial director sport:
- “We’re really pleased to have signed David Raum; this is a fantastic signing for us. Despite several offers from elsewhere, David chose RB Leipzig and we were able to beat off a number of clubs. He’s a Germany international and as a young player, fits perfectly to the club philosophy. His signing is another important sign of our goals of reaching the Champions League and developing consistently as a club.”
Christopher Vivell, Technical Director:
- “David Raum strengthens our squad even more. He can play across all positions down the left-hand side and can also operate on the right, which gives us more versatility in our wide play. David has developed brilliantly in the past two years and established himself as a regular for club and country during his first season in the Bundesliga. In addition to his speed, dynamic style and goal threat, we want to make use of his ability to create goals because he’s a great striker of the ball and is extremely dangerous from set pieces and crosses.“
- “I’m very happy about my move to RB Leipzig. The club made a lot of effort to bring me here and the discussions with head coach Domenico Tedesco, the club management and sporting director Oliver Mintzlaff quickly convinced me that coming to Leipzig is absolutely the right step for me. I’m moving to a football-mad city with a fantastic stadium and a club that stands for successful and attractive football. RB Leipzig gives me the chance to play in the Champions League and offers the perfect conditions for me to develop. I’m really looking forward to getting to know the team, settling in quickly and helping my teammates on the pitch.”
David Raum factfile:
- Name: David Raum
- Date of birth: 22th April 1998 (Nürnberg)
- Age: 24 years
- Nationality: Germany
- Stronger foot: left
- Shirt number: 22
- Height: 1.80 metres
- Weight: 75 kg
- Position: full back/wing back/left midfield
- Bundesliga: 32 games | 3 goals | 13 assists
- 2. Bundesliga: 94 games | 4 goals | 21 assists
- DFB-Pokal: 29 games | 2 goals
- International: 9 games | 2 assists
- International (youth): 22 games | 1 goal | 5 assists
From July 2022: RB Leipzig
07/2021 to 07/2022: TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
02/2017 to 06/2021: SpVgg Greuther Fürth
01/2006 to 01/2017: SpVgg Greuther Fürth (youth)
2002 to 12/2006: Tuspo Nürnberg (youth)