Top signing for the future! RB Leipzig have signed Belgian goalkeeper Maarten Vandevoordt from KRC Genk. The 20-year-old has signed a contract that will begin in 2024 and run for five years until 2029.
The goalkeeper made his professional debut on 24th September 2019 at just 17 years and seven months old, keeping a clean sheet in a 3-0 Belgian cup win over KSK Ronse. Almost three months later, Vandevoordt made his debut in the Jupiler Pro League, just three days before making his debut in the UEFA Champions League on 10th December 2019. Aged 17 years and 287 days old, Vandevoordt became the youngest goalkeeper in the history of Europe’s elite club competition.
The 20-year-old became a regular for Genk in February 2021 and helped his side win the Belgian Cup. Since the beginning of the season, he’s appeared in 44 of a possible 45 games and established himself as the club’s number one.
Maarten Vandevoordt has represented Belgium at all youth levels (a total of 33 appearances) and is the current goalkeeper of the under 21 national team.
- "I’m very happy about my upcoming transfer to RB Leipzig. The club have a clear idea of football and have become one of the best names in Europe in recent years, especially for young players. It really inspires me and I’m really looking forward to my time as a Red Bull.
The goalkeeper development at RB Leipzig is fantastic. Péter Gulácsi for example has developed into one of the best goalkeepers in Europe at this club. That’s the route I also want to take and that’s why RB Leipzig is the perfect club for me. Now I want to carry on gaining match practice in Genk to be able to take the next step in Leipzig."
Frederik Gößling, goalkeeping coach, RB Leipzig:
- "At just 20 years old, Maarten is already among the best goalkeepers in Belgium. With his brave and offensive playing style, he is a perfect fit to the football that we play at RB Leipzig. We’re looking forward to an exciting young goalkeeper. We want to develop him here and bring him to an even higher level."
Christopher Vivell, technical director, RB Leipzig:
- "Maarten Vandevoordt’s transfer allows us to secure a top transfer for the future at an early stage and fill the incredibly important goalkeeping position with an excellent prospect in our long-term squad planning."
Florian Scholz, commercial director for sport, RB Leipzig:
- "We’re really pleased to have brought in one of the most exciting goalkeepers in European football in Maarten Vandevoordt. It’s a great sign for the future and an upcoming signing that we will soon benefit from."
RB Leipzig is the perfect club for me!
- Date of birth: 26th February 2002 in Sint-Truiden (Belgium)
- Age: 20 years
- Nationality: Belgian
- Stronger foot: Right
- Height: 1.92 metres
- Position: Goalkeeper
- Jupiler Pro League (Belgian first division): 48 games
- Beker van Belgie (Belgian Cup): 7 games
- UEFA Europa League: 6 games
- UEFA Champions League: 1 game
- UEFA Champions League qualification: 2 games
- 2018/19: Belgian champions (KRC Genk)
- 2019/20: Belgian super cup winner (KRC Genk)
- 2020/21: Belgian cup winner (KRC Genk)
- since 07/2019: KRC Genk
- 07/2018 to 06/2019: KRC Genk U21
- Youth clubs:
VV Brustem- Centrum, K.ST. Sint-Truidense VV, KRC Genk