RB Leipzig head to take on star-studded Paris Saint-Germain in the French capital on Tuesday night (21:00 CEST) on Matchday 3 of the Champions League group stage.
Ahead of the game, head coach Jesse Marsch and defender Nordi Mukiele answered the questions of media, with the head coach als giving a team news update.
Jesse Marsch on...
…the situation in Group A:
- "The numbers in our group are clear: we need points. PSG are a great side with perhaps the best attack in the world. It will be a huge task for us, but at the same time an opportunity for us to deliver a great result. We have to go to Paris full of passion and self confidence.."
...Messi, Neymar and Mbappé:
- "The quality that these three have, as well as their enjoyment playing with each other, is clear to see. Lionel Messi name always comes up in the discussions for the best player in the world. Maybe we’ll go with seven in defence to try and stop them (laughs). But seriouyl, we have good defenders in our squad. Nordi Mukiele knows their team from his time in Ligue 1. But we have to work intensely as a group against the ball and defend well. And of course, we also need some help from our top goalkeeper, Pete Gulácsi."
Nordi has matured in the past three years. I was very proud to see him with the France national team.
...tactics against PSG:
- "It’s not easy to control a game like this. Almost everyone who plays against PSG focuses on the transition. We’ll do the same. Above all, we have to defend well, and also need good individual performances from our players in the final third. One advantage for us could be set pieces, which we’ve been good at this season."
- "Nordi has matured in the past three years. I was very proud to see him with the France national team. He told me that he got a positive impression and that he was able to take a lot away from the experience. I’m really happy for him. It’s really fun working with him. We need a good performance from him against PSG"
Nordi Mukiele on...
….returning to his home city of Paris:
- "It’s always nice to return to Paris. We have a very important game ahead of us. I’m optimistic and believe that we will take something good away from the game. We’re perhaps not in top form, but we have a squad with fantastic players and it’s up to us to carry out the match plan and come away with points."
It will be a different game to last season.
... Paris Saint-Germain:
- "We have respect for PSG, but you have to have respect for every opponent. It will be a different game to the matches against them last season. Both teams have changed a lot."
… his debut with the France national team:
- "I was very proud and it was a real honour to be called up to the national team. It’s a real source of pride to be part of the team that was champions of Europe. I hope I can be involved again."
Current team news:
- Dani Olmo, Brian Brobbey and Marcel Halstenberg will miss the game in Paris through injury.
- The rest of the team is available to head coach Jesse Marsch.