Our number 1 is our new captain!
Together with the rest of the coaching team, head coach Jesse Marsch announced that Péter Gulácsi is the club’s new captain on Thursday afternoon.
Kevin Kampl and Willi Orban have been named as the vice-captains, with Marcel Halstenberg, Emil Forsberg and Yussuf Poulsen the other three members of the team council.
Head coach Jesse Marsch on ...
... the decision:
- “It was a decision made by the whole coaching team. Achim Beierlorzer and I have known Péter for a number of years now and we’re convinced that he’s the right man for the job. He’s respected by the team, is a leader and a spokesperson. He’s a complete professional, both on and off the pitch. His professional attitude and consistent performances make him a real role model. As a result, he has all the qualities needed to be a great captain.”
... the two vice-captains:
- “We also believe that with these two guys as vice-captains we have a great combination. Kevin is an extremely experienced player, who has a good connection with the rest of the team. He’s a great leader. Willi is also one of the most professional players I’ve ever coached. He trains and plays just the way we want someone at RB Leipzig to. He’s the perfect role model for the rest of the team."
... the team council:
- “Those three will be supported by Yussuf Poulsen, Emil Forsberg and Marcel Halstenberg. These six players will form our team council for this season.”
Captain Péter Gulácsi:
- "It’s an honour and also a huge responsibility for me, but I have been a leader for the team in recent years and have acted as vice-captain most recently. Now I’m first choice, but my role and my task won’t change all-that much, not least because there are other leaders in the team and we take on these challenges together. A good captain always leads by example to motivate the team. I want to use my experience and quality to help the team, be positive and support everyone in order for us to have a successful season."
Club record holder and icon:
Péter Gulácsi has been a leading member of the RB Leipzig squad for a number of years and was already the stand-in captain during the previous season. The 32-year-old has been at the club since 2015 and signed a contract extension until 2025 in May; a deal that will take Pete into his tenth year as a Leipzig player.
To date, the Hungary international has made 229 appearances for RBL, which is the second highest in club history, keeping 74 clean sheets. The goalkeeper is the club’s record appearance makes in the Bundesliga (167 games) and UEFA Champions League (24 games). In the 2020/21 season he kept the most clean sheets in the Bundesliga with 15.
Over the years, Gulácsi has developed into one of the best goalkeepers in the Bundesliga and across Europe and is the regular number 1 for the Hungary national team (43 caps, 14 clean sheets) and was named “Hungary Footballer of the Year” in 2019.
229 games | 74 clean sheets
Debut: 27th October 2015 (second round DFB-Pokal)
167 games | 57 clean sheets | 2 assists
- 2. Bundesliga:
14 games | 3 clean sheets
15 games | 7 clean sheets
- UEFA Champions League:
24 games | 4 clean sheets
- UEFA Europa League:
6 games | 1 clean sheet
- Promotion to the Bundesliga 2016
- Bundesliga runner-up 2016/17
- DFB-Pokal finalist 2019 and 2021
- UEFA Champions League semi-finalist 2020
- Hungary's Footballer of the Year 2019
(43 caps | 14 clean sheets)