RB Leipzig’s 5-0 win against Club Brugge sees them leap over the Belgian champions in the Group A table and into third place, leaving the Red Bulls with every chance to remain in European competition this season as they are now in pole position to qualify for the UEFA Europa League knockout round play-off. Here are the best Matchday Facts!
- Christopher Nkunku has already scored 13 goals in 19 appearances this season, which is one goal greater than he scored in 84 matches during his first two seasons at Leipzig combined.
- Nkunku’s seven goals in this Champions League campaign take him above Manchester United’s Cristiano Ronaldo (6) in the goalscoring charts, and only Robert Lewandowski and Sebastian Haller (9) have netted on more occasions than the Frenchman.
- André Silva’s perfect header saw him net for the second time in the Champions League for RB Leipzig.
- Emil Forsberg got his first goal in the Champions League this season and then doubled his tally later on in the match, making him RB Leipzig’s all-time record goalscorer in the competition (9).
- Angeliño registered his third assist of this season’s competition and his eighth Champions League assist for RBL of all time, the highest total of any RBL player in the competition ever.
- The 5-0 victory over Brugge was RB Leipzig’s biggest victory ever in the Champions League.
- Milestone achieved: The Red Bulls scored their 50th goal in the competition during the win.
- The average age of the 15 players that featured in Brugge was just 23.1. 12 of those 15 players were aged 25 or younger, and five of them were younger than 20.
- At the 80-minute mark in the game, eight of the 11 Leipzig players on the pitch were younger than 25 (average age of 23.6). There were three 18-year-old players sharing the field with five players under the age of 20 in what was a special moment for the Red Bulls.
Fact of the matchday:
Our reserve goal keeper Josep Martínez, who replaced our captain Péter Gulásci, who is currently isolating, didn’t just keep a clean sheet but also registered the highest speed of any player on the night and indeed any player in the competition so far, clocking in at 38.7 km/h.